Monday, July 9, 2012

Staycation Destination!

We were happy to reopen our door again for the 2012 season on May 19th, a full month ahead of last year!


We had contemplated moving the shop’s location, but seeing as I’m a maker myself and need to be in close proximity of my studio, we decided to instead renovate our garage and finally create that dream studio space I’ve been longing for. No more crowded mudroom for me! Now I have space to work on many projects at once… and the ability to close the door at the end of the day and head home and relax in a project free house! 


This past Sunday I opened up the garage for our first open studio day - going forward every Sunday and Monday my studio is open to the public to come and sit a while as I create... and perhaps bring along your own project to work on should you feel inspired?


The last few months have certainly been full of exciting projects, my own creations have been picked up by several shops throughout the Maritimes including Put Me On in Halifax, Window on the Sea in Lunenburg and Johnny Ruth – Integrity in Style in Saint John’s Newfoundland. In addition to being a bit of a production line these last few months creating new Woodland Wool critters and Flock Together feather accessories, I’ve also created a few new cut-up portraits for folk rocker Christina Martin’s new album, set to hit stores on July 10th.



Over the last few years I have been collaborating with the songstress combining quotes from her album with my graphic images to create an illustrated lyric book which she then provides to her fans as a thank you for their on going support. 


Larger limited editions of these prints are currently available exclusively at the Bread Gallery in Brooklyn as a part of our Flying Cloud group show “Staycation, all I ever wanted” which runs until August 31st.






Staycation features the work of ten of our Flying Cloud artists including paintings by Mary Garoutte & Kelly Mitchelmore, photographs by John McCarthy & Jane Rovers, screen prints by Geordan Moore & Kat Frick Miller, folk art carvings by Jim Tracey, sculptures by Kristie Sheehy and fibre art by Tacha Reed & Blythe Church.


Now that my heavy production load is out of the way, and we‘ve squeezed in our own little staycation exploring rural Nova Scotia, Flying Cloud is now ready to settle into our new summer hours – hopefully making us a destination on your next Nova Scotian staycation!

For the fist six weeks of this season we have only been open on Saturdays and Sundays, but that all changes today – with us now keeping somewhat regular hours throughout the week as well!

You will now find us open most weekdays 10-4, be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date with all the happenings here in Ellershouse!


No comments:

Post a Comment