Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Introducing of few of our Artists

This past weekend I attended the Halifax Crafters Society Spring Flight show in Halifax both as a vendor and as a means of recruiting new Artists for the June launch of the mobile boutique.

The response to Flying Cloud was absolutely enthusiastic! I made fantastic connections and even came home with my first batch of inventory - dozens of lovely hand carved wooden spoons and butter knives! 

From cherry and lilac to birch, carver Terron Dodd's pieces are going to look just wonderful showcased in the shop's House Wares section. 

Also newly jumping on board is illustrator and designer Anna Stowe. Anna's hand printed cards and t-shirts reflect a whimsy that I hold close to my heart. 

Our shared love for wild life, in particular an interest in fish, birds, foxes and motorcycles, make her an absolute perfect fit for Flying Cloud - I feel honoured that I get to share her work with everyone! 

Adding to our list of talented artists who create durable pieces for outdoor life is Jerry Walsh and his line Distinctive Garden Accents

Working mostly with found materials Jerry makes functional handcrafted treasures including birdhouses and feeders, mail boxes, planters, weather vanes and  garden benches. 

Again Jerry's work tugs at my heart strings; by making use of items reclaimed from nature Jerry creates beautiful objects that not only give back but at the same time compliment surrounding nature. 

I was also lucky enough to connect with James Brown of Steady Brook Saddlery who is coming on as our first leather worker. In addition to his saddles  James also makes belts, purses, and book jackets. A veteran of the arts and craft industry I know James is going to bring a lot of knowledge and experience to the table as I make my way not only as an art boutique owner and promoter but also as a fellow maker. 


These are just a few of the many crafters who have stepped forward to join our list of vendors here at Flying Cloud Boutique. Over the next few weeks I will be sharing more and more about my talented fellow Nova Scotian Artists and Artisans and giving you sneak peeks at some of the items we will be carrying in the mobile shop.

Until then I encourage to take a virtual tour of the Halifax Crafters Society Spring Flight Show and take in a little of what Nova Scotia has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. It was lovely to meet you! I am very excited to be a part of your new venture. It is a really fantastic idea. I really enjoy the process photos below. Keep 'em coming! and thanks for the mention above :)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete